Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Philips HQ5853 Shaver

Philips HQ5853 Shaver

 

 


The product of Philishave's sharpest minds.

The Philishave HQ5853 is the latest addition to the Philishave reflex action range, the closest shaving razors Philishave make. It's a three rotating head machine, as you can see in the photos. Each head moves about so that the bit that shaves, is flat to the skin, giving a closer shave. The advantage of the Reflex action range over cheaper models is that as well as the heads, the whole supporting frame moves, providing contact with the skin in more places. For example, with the old models, when shaving around the chin and jaw line, only one head would really be in contact with the skin. With the Reflex model, all three heads are working. This speeds up the shave and means you don't need to concentrate as much; a good thing in the morning.

In fact, the 5853 has a whole load of little tricks hidden away. While you're dragging it across your face, the heads are pivoting, the frame is moving and 45 little blades are slightly lifting hairs out of the skin so that the 45 cutting blades can trim them closer before they sink back in. It's an ingenious way of reducing the problem of having a protective guard between the blades and your face, a precaution that I think you'll agree is necessary.

All of these subtleties are designed to enhance the performance of the razor, making the big question whether they actually work. The answer is yes. I have now used the razor for the time they suggest you allow for your skin to get used to it and I have gone from being very disappointed with it to loving it. It's quicker than my electric razor, giving me that little more in bed(!) It doesn't drop hairs, meaning that I can shave in front of the bedroom mirror instead of having to wait for the bathroom mirror to de-mist. It's smaller than a bottle of shaving foam, meaning that I have that little bit more room in my washkit when I'm away (the battery lasts for three weeks) and it is a beautiful piece of kit, and apart from the colours, is extremely well made and designed. However, these are mostly obvious benefits of having an electric razor. The thing that stops most people is the closeness of the shave, and on that issue I have a couple of interesting points. When I began to use the shaver, I was rather disappointed with its performance. Philishave give you some basic guidelines on how to use you shaver but these didn't really help me. They suggest that you stretch you skin and then run the shaver over your face. It was a week before I worked out that I was pressing too hard. No pressure at all is needed, the shaver just needs to be touching your skin. A week later, I had my second shaving breakthrough. If you run your fingers just infront of where you are running the razor, pressing quite hard to stretch your skin, the hairs really stand up, making the shave much closer. The final shaving breakthrough I made only a few days ago. Philishave suggest that you either shave before washing your face or wait some time after washing before shaving, until your face is dry. I started shaving before washing my face but discovered that it is better to wash, wait five minutes and then shave. While you sleep, grease builds up on your face and the razor seems to work better with this cleaned off. I have now got the shaving art and can honestly say that with care and practice I think it is possible to make the Philishave go almost, if not,as close to the skin as a wet razor. They haven't paid me to say this (I wish), I just really think that they are making a good product. Even if you don't believe it, consider this: The extra amount of hair that you shave off with a wet razor will have grown back in half an hour anyway.

I was wondering how to sum up this razor. I think the best way to do it is to state the simple fact that I will not be wet shaving again. It's quick, convenient and the results are good. However, if you're convinced and want to buy one, I do have some advice:

Don't bother with the very top of the range, simply get the latest shaving technology. For example, the shaver I reviewed retails at around £124.99 and has exactly the same shaving technology as the top of the range which retails at £159.99. The high end models tend to be full of gimmicks that you pay exorbitant amounts of money for. Mine had a charge indicator, a sideburn/beard/moustache trimmer (that worked very well), a nice case and a cleaning brush. I wanted for nothing more. Get a rechargeable. Not having a cord is good and you can take the model I reviewed on holiday for up to 23 days without needing to charge it. Take time to get used to it and experiment. You can get an excellent shave. There are even some shavers such as the Philishave "Coolskin" which have a money back guarantee so you can try them.

If you need, Shaver Razor Replacement Head Blade for Philips   Only 11.33

No comments:

Post a Comment